Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Annie Dillard Love

I've recently been branching out in my reading habits as of late. This means that I've been reading books outside of the YA genre, which is a GOOD thing. A really good thing, actually. Having a broad spectrum of genres and authors that you read is going to make you a better, more informed writer, and reader for that matter.
One of my favorites lately has been Annie Dillard. Honestly, I think she is simply fantastic. She writes a lot of memoir based pieces. Memoirs are what I enjoy writing the most, and so I am very interested in both the genre and in what she has to say. Her imagery is beautiful and her purpose is clear, poignant and thought-provoking. If you're looking for a good short story to pick up and read in just five or so minutes, I would definitely recommend Transfiguration, also known as the moth essay, a truly beautiful piece of hers that talks about writing by way of a very cool and captivating metaphor.

No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails