Monday, August 31, 2009

Catching Fire

I am going to start this off by saying I have not finished the book. My mental sanity depends on me not finishing it in one weekend. When you get the book tomorrow, you will understand (especially when you get to page 173).
This is what I can tell you:
  1. Everything that I have said so far is true. I did hit a weak point in the book. I do believe that this plot might be stretched a bit too thin.
  2. I am still terrified.
  3. The Quater Quell is coming up, which adds to my terror, as well as the terror and excitement of the book and it's characters.
  4. There are major reoccurring themes from The Hunger Games.
  5. Things are changing in Panem.
  6. Things are changing for Peeta and Katniss.
  7. Things are changing for Katniss and Gale.
  8. Part 1 of the book really is not that great, especially the beginning of it. It doesn't really get exciting until page 173!
  9. I think that in some parts of the book, Katniss is a whiny, selfish brat. Although I am pretty sure everyone would be in her situation, there are some really stupid relationship things where she is just being selfish and hurtful. In other words, not really the best role model for a healthy relationship.
  10. This book can be read by someone who has never read The Hunger Games, although you won't enjoy it as much because some very important details will go right over your head.
  11. I liked The Hunger Games better.

This series in general largely resembles the short story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, which was written to illustrate the pointless violence in our world. If you want a taste for what The Hunger Games series is about, I would suggest reading it (you can read it by clicking on the link above). I would NOT recommend this book for kids under the age of thirteen. I am truly terrified and disturbed by this series and I am starting my sophomore year of high school tomorrow.

Because I am not exactly giving you guys the best review of this book (as I haven't finished it yet), here is a link to the Entertainment Weekly review of Catching Fire. Some of it I agree with and some of it I do not, as you will see from reading my former blog entries about Catching Fire.

This is the part I most agree with: this being a teen novel — she also has boyfriend problems. For PR purposes, Katniss pretends to be in love with her sweet-natured Games teammate Peeta Mellark, but she secretly pines for brooding Gale, a childhood friend. Except — why? There's little distinction between the two thinly imagined guys, other than the fact that Peeta has a dopier name. Collins conjures none of the erotic energy that makes Twilight, for instance, so creepily alluring.

The book goes on sale tomorrow though, so you don't exactly have to wait long, but here is another mini excerpt!! All of the material below is the work of Suzanne Collins and should be checked against the final printing of Catching Fire as my copy is an ARC copy which has mistakes in it!

Page 118: "Life in District 12 isn't really so different from life in the arena. At some point, you have to spot running and turn around and face whoever wants you dead. The hard thing is finding the courage to do it."

I hope you all enjoy Catching Fire!

More to come,

OfficiallyMRS

2 comments:

suzie townsend said...

Ah! Page 173!

I agree that the love interest(s) in Catching Fire are totally different from Twilight, but they should be. Bella's in high school whining about not being a vampire and getting older while Katniss is trying to deal with killing other teenagers in order to hopefully survive. Who really has time to sweat over romance when you're constantly afraid for your life?

OfficiallyMRS said...

It just bugs me that she has to act that way. It is not entirely her fault.

You may also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails