Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What Makes You Sing

The summer has started and my freshman year is over (thank the lord almighty). Done with. No more! If anyone ever tells you that your high school years are the best years of your life, they either recently got hit on the head with a cinder block or are just really creepy. Either way, it is not true and you should start running the other way. Seriously run... fast.
All I have really done in the first week of my summer vacation is eat, read and sing. I went to a graduation party, I went to an actual graduation. But since I know my summer and my life for that matter is going to be filled with books, I thought I might share some with you!! I will be posting one or two "book reviews" or suggestions a day, along with my own personal tidbits and so forth.

The first book I read this summer is called "Suite Scarlett" by Maureen Johnson. Its a story about a girl who gets a hotel room for her fifteenth birthday. All though that might sound really, really cool, it actually kinda sucks because she doesn't get to live in the room, she gets to take care of it. You can pretty much gather all of that from the back synopsis. What that page doesn't give on is how involved this character, Scarlett, comes to the acting world in NYC. If you are an aspiring actor or actress, like I am, read it! Its a fun, charming, witty story by an incredible author about what it means to be a teen, a friend, a girlfriend, a sister, part of a family and part of one of the most glamorous worlds in NY (or so I think- its really hard work, but man, what a cool job would it be to sing all day long). Also, it is a series, so for all of you who really like getting into the world of a character and then actually staying there this is a great read for you.


My summer has consisted of way more than just books though. As you will learn about me, music is also a huge part of my life. A few days ago, I preformed at the graduating high school seniors graduation. During the ceremony, our musical director got up and gave one of the most beautiful speeches that I have ever heard. After an incredibly difficult year for him personally, he talked about "what makes you sing." In other words, what makes you you, what makes us all unique from one another, what makes us all get up in the morning, our motivations, the things that define our lives, the things we truly love and those things that we are truly talented at. Our passions. He described what it felt like for him to sing and how much a part of his life the arts were and how singing had become his passion in life, what made him him. Those passions that we find as we get older will always have a special meaning in our lives. So just as our director wished that we would find our passions or "what makes us sing" I wish the very same to you. Find what makes you sing, and love it, breathe it, live it.

More to come,

OfficiallyM.R.S.

No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails