Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sarah Dessen Week: "That Summer"

So although I do love Sarah's books, this one is by far my least favorite of all of them. I do not like writing negative reviews, because hey, I mean these people have put in years of their lives to creating these books so that we can read them!! But as a personal preference, I really did not like "That Summer." It is also the first of Sarah's books that was published, and I have found that her stories get better with each book, making this one almost her ground zero. I read "That Summer" as a summer reading project, so that could be the reason I didn't like it as well. But as the first Sarah Dessen book I read, I did not pick up her books until about two years later, (clearly a big mistake) when I found "The Truth About Forever."
Here is a synopsis so you can chose for yourself (no spoilers):
For fifteen-year-old Haven, life is changing too quickly. She's nearly six feet tall, her father is getting remarried, and her sister, the always perfect Ashley, is planning a wedding of her own. Haven wishes things could just go back to the way they were. Then an old boyfriend of Ashley's reenters the picture, and through him, Haven sees the past for what it really was, and comes to grips with the future.
If you are a big fan of Sarah's and want to decide whether you like the book for yourself, I encourage you to do so, but if you have never read and Sarah Dessen books, this is not the book to start off with.
To learn more about Sarah and her books go to http://www.sarahdessen.com/ , http://www.sarah-land.com/ , friend her on facebook, follow her on twitter or keep coming back to OfficiallyMRS every day this week to read more reviews of Sarah's books.
More to come,
OfficiallyMRS

No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails